| OUR PARISH HISTORY
A surge of Bossier City’s population in the 1930s stimulated the creation of Christ the King
Catholic Church as it own parish, the first Catholic ministry constructed in the area after
seceding from Holy Trinity in downtown Shreveport. Christ the King held it's first service, the
Midnight Christmas Mass, in 1940, under Rev. Milburn Broussard, the church’s new pastor.
During 1954 the church community established Kindergarten to Eight Grade Christ the King
Catholic School, while renovations in the 1960s improved the church,particularly with an
installed air-conditioning system. Surrounding lands were purchased, some donated to the
church. Two mission churches were built as extensions of Christ the King: St. Jude Catholic
Church in North Bossier, and Mary Queen of Peace in South Bossier.
The Feast of Christ the King on November 26,1978 marked another reconstruction of Christ
the King to its present state, dubbed a “magnificent temple” in the Bossier Tribune by its
balcony and vast open space.
Christ the King School eventually discontinued in 1998 after 46 years of service. Regardless,
the school building enabled the organization of numerous church activities: Food Pantry,
RCIA, Parish Religion classes, St. Vincent de Paul. Christ the King also witnessed a growing
Hispanic population during the early 2000's, sparking new Hispanic community events and
Spanish Masses led by Rev. Rigoberto Betancurt beginning in 2003.
Christ the King celebrated its 75th anniversary in November 2015 with our diverse church
community, we pray to continue to generously share our time, talents and treasures for the
greater glory of Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
|Celebrating Diversity and 75th year anniversary of Christ the King Bossier
|CHRIST THE KING
La Iglesia Catolica de Cristo Rey
Diocese of Shreveport