A surge of Bossier City’s population in the 1930s stimulated the creation of Christ the King Catholic Church as its own parish, the first Catholic ministry constructed in the area after seceding from Holy Trinity in downtown Shreveport. Christ the King held it’s first service, the Midnight Christmas Mass, in 1940, under Rev. Milburn Broussard, the church’s new pastor.
WELCOME TO OUR PARISH HISTORY
During 1954 the church community established Kindergarten to Eight Grade Christ the King Catholic School, while renovations in the 1960’s improved the church, particularly with an installed air-conditioning system. Surrounding lands were purchased, some donated to the church. Two mission churches were built as extensions of Christ the King: St. Jude Catholic Church in North Bossier, and Mary Queen of Peace in South Bossier.
The Feast of Christ the King on November 26,1978 marked another reconstruction of Christ the King to its present state, dubbed a “magnificent temple” in the Bossier Tribune by its balcony and vast open space.
Christ the King School eventually discontinued in 1998 after 46 years of service. Regardless, the school building enabled the organization of numerous church activities: Food Pantry, RCIA, Parish Religion classes, St. Vincent de Paul. Christ the King also witnessed a growing Hispanic population during the early 2000s, sparking new Hispanic community events and Spanish masses led by Rev. Rigoberto Betancurt beginning in 2003.
Christ the King celebrated its 75th anniversary in November 2015 with our diverse church community, we pray to continue to generously share our time, talents and treasures for the greater glory of Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
OUR PARISH HISTORY
Celebrating 78th year anniversary of Christ the King Bossier with blessing of the Memorial Archway and Potluck